I am pleased to announce that I will be attending the Arabic Flagship Overseas Program in Morocco this summer to study Arabic for two months in Meknes! I am very excited for the chance to improve my Arabic and learn Moroccan Darija, the Arabic dialect spoken there. I joined Darija Club in hopes of going to Morocco this summer, and I expect the words I have learned will come in handy. I will be staying with a host family, taking language classes, and going on cultural excursions. I am so happy to get the opportunity to use and learn so much Arabic!
- The historic part of of Meknes is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Morocco is very multilingual, with Darija, Modern Standard Arabic, French, Spanish, and various Amazigh languages being spoken.
- Morocco is a monarchy, ruled by King Mohammed the Sixth.
- Moroccan mint tea is delicious.
- Morocco is almost as long as the East Coast of the United States.